Friday, April 04, 2008

My Music Doesn't Suck.... You Suck

I don't know if any of you have had this same problem: dude picks up my iPod and starts scrolling through it. After a few minutes, he says, "What is this? You have the worst music EVER!" I said, "What's on there that's bad?" His reply: "I have never heard of any of this."

Just because you haven't heard of something doesn't mean it sucks. Everyone has heard of Britney Spears and N*Sync. Does that mean they are good music? Ignorance pisses me off. Just because it's not on the radio doesn't mean it's not worth hearing, and just because it is doesn't make it good either. I have to say there is something to a song everyone knows-- "Hey Ya" comes on and the kids are dancing, the grandmas are dancing, you get the picture. But what about the songs that could be the "Hey Ya's" if only they were heard? So here is a quick 20ish songs that should be classics, but that most of the people in my world have never heard of. Self-imposed rules: gotta be a song most people I work with don't know from a band they've probably never heard of; not on my best of 2007 list; one song per artist.

In no particular order:
Sleater-Kinney- One Beat
Drive-By Truckers- Sink Hole
Ween - Voodoo Lady
Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama Out
Mike Doughty - The Only Answer
Elliott Smith - Southern Belle
Iron & Wine - Lion's Mane
Sufjan Stevens - The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us!
Red House Painters - Make Like Paper
The Whigs - Right Hand on My Heart
The Thermals - Power Doesn't Run on Nothing
TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me
The Streets - Don't Mug Yourself
Dizzee Rascal - Stand Up Tall
Ryan Adams - Note to Self: Don't Die
Broken Social Scene - It's All Gonna Break
Rilo Kiley - A Better Son/Daughter
Tilly & the Wall - Reckless
Uncle Tupelo - No Depression
Regina Spektor - Us
Deltron 3030 - 3030
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date with the Night
Vampire Weekend - One (Blake's Got a New Face)
Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Stairway to Heaven

No comments: