Monday, December 08, 2008

Best of 2008

I hardly find it fair for me to make a list since I doubt I heard 10 whole albums from this year alone, but I know mike wants to know. I am more comfortable with my favorite songs of 2008. The basis for this list is simply what I listen to. In the end that is what it's all about. The list is alphabetical, but more so a coincidence since my number one song from 2008 was "Sometime Around Midnight" by the Airborne Toxic Event. Here are the rest:

Best of 2008

There are some regulars here: Ben Folds, Mates of State, Tilly and the Wall, Coldplay. But there are two worth mentioning briefly: Kaki King is Katherine Elizabeth King from Atlanta, GA. You should be interested to know that she was the first woman ever listed as a "Guitar God" in Rolling Stone in 2006. But she's also "an out-loud and proud lesbian" seriously kicking ass in the music world. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbJnwk3GBiM She & Him is Zooey Deschanel and M Ward. We all knew she could sing and I'm happy to see Deschanel's debut was well received.

Dan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you know we saw that pink noise video before it was even released? it was on johns paste sampler back in the day and i was like, i love her...

anyways, still have to listen to your playlist- ill tell you what i think

Unknown said...

well i liked your list last year, but this year i love it-- you even have 3 on here that have a strong possibility of showing up on my list (VW, Ben Folds, Okkervil) and I love the ATE song and the Born Ruffians song. Here are my complaints (and you probably saw them coming): dont like the mates of state song or the kaki king song (i liked her older stuff better). but surprised by the she & him song and the coldplay song-- both very nice. overall dan, nice list for not getting out much this year!