Sunday, December 21, 2008

Year's Ends

So me and drew we're talking about how year after year me and him are becoming more and more removed from that little thing called the music scene. In fact this is a common discussion I have with most of my fellow music assholes of the past. Are we getting old and more involved in actual life? Is music just not as interesting as it was five years ago? Or is it something else?

Well there is no excuse people. There was some amazing sounds made this year from some amazing artists. Now is the time to find out all about all the things you missed. First there's the abundant Internet and it's never ending cornucopia of music blogs and websites. There's also , I hear, free music to be had by something called downloading. So combine the two. Comb the Internet and your local bookstores music magazine rack for all sorts of top of the year lists. These people actually get paid to do what we do for free....listen and talk. What chumps we are.

Speaking of talking....tis the season. I encourage everyone to strike up a conversation with that relative or church going friend you only see during the holiday season. Maybe they have something new to turn you onto. Maybe cousin frank has the new M83 album and is just waiting for someones mind to be blown out all over the xmas ham. Or maybe not. But there's always the oldies but goodies. I find the more talk you have with this medium the more you get out of it. My god albums like Kid A and In the Aeroplane over the sea have to be discussed. Plus just talking about music draws you back into the fold. I just got done discussing a portisehead/radiohead collaboration with my friend Aaron an hour ago and now I have 12 albums downloading, legally of course. Tonight I will fall asleep debating Hot Chip and Bon Iver in my head as sugar plum fairies do whatever the hell they do to you with your eyes closed...fuckers.

Anyway take a bit of time this holiday season. Turn on your Ipods, cd players or Internet radio station and take a look what's out there. We are getting older, but that's no excuse to let that olde friend music, who has been there with you through every high and low of our lives, disappear. They deserve a little better then that. Happy xmas, merry new year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very nice johnny- looking forward to music discussions today and the rest of this vacation. great post-- anne actually said "aww"