Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mixtape,tape worms and M83 and the Walkmen on Conan o'brien

So i have a wierd relationship with conan o'brien. I love him. Desperatelly. I have since highschool. H made it ok to be a nerdy white kid. Well not all right i just thought hey maybe there's a way to become famous because of it. ANyway me and my friend Aaron always said we'd run out to L.A. one day and make our own conanesque talk show. He'd be the lanky uber nerd and I'd be the andy ricter side kick. Well those dreams faded and Aaron is one of my least favorite people on the face of the earth. So i fell out with conan...one of those wierd association things yer brain does. Well recentlly i got back in to mr. CO. And man two days in a row he has had great musical guests. He always has had great music taste. Great bands that only get tv exposue on his show, the max weinberg 7, his own songs...Obrien is a nerdy indie kid.



Anyway the two performances were by The Walkmen and M83. Try and look them up on the olde you tube . I was really impressed by both these bands. Late night talkshows have got to be hard for musicians. You only get one song, about 5 minutes, in front of an audience that is sitting down and not really even there to see you. Both of these bands really knocked it out of the park. I'm amazed at the walkmen's vocalists. He has one of the best howling screams maybe ever and he's really great at just going from scream to sing in the blink of an eye. M83 really played the shit out of Kim and Jesssie. This was one of my favorite songs and albums from last year. M83 have a very electronic sound, heavy (atleast on this album) in 80's synth. To see them pull this song off live and so well was just another notch in a talented bands bedstand.They were so restrained and really seemed to play perfectly together. Also they have some amazing equipment. Really wanna see those guys live.

Anyway, mike has yet to come up with a mix tape idea. I've been carefully crafting a sort of story arch double album mixtape. Yeah complex shit don't look at it directlly. But it's gonna be a relationship going from meeting someone to the eventual tragic break up. I got this from my little ipod shuffle experiment, which went on for about a week and 1100+ songs before my sis captured the pod and stared playing ryan adams. 99% of songs on my ipod and probablly everyones is about either being in or falling out of love. So I'm taking some of my favorites and editing them into a sort of concept album....so if you wanna step up to the plate and try to best me go for it.I'll try and finish this up after super bowl sunday (go cardinals fuck steelers).

That's it. Oh I don't know how to edit this web page, i.e posting comments and changing what it is that's 'blowing out my speakers'. I'm dumb like that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't lie John-- I don't understand why the Walkmen were one of the top albums last year. M83 isn't my style, but I get it, they're good. The Walkmen? Not on board.