Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nelie Mckay will you marry me....or atleast never stop making music.

Ok first off my mixtape is awsome. I'm just finishing up the song placement. It's totally got a creepy stalker feel. That probablly comes from playing Braid relentlessly for the last few weeks....i still haven't finished that devil game. Anyway I'm gonna say let's try and post our mixes by next sunday the....i think 7th or 8th. Then we can like review the tapes and post our reviews in the next week after that.

Ok so I'm reviewing another album from last year.By last year I mean 2 years ago. I bought the album a year ago and never really listened to it till recentlly. By recentlly I mean like an hour or so ago...Just kidding I've given this a lot of thought over the last few days.

Nellie Mckay is back ladies and gentleman. Ok maybe none of you listen to her. Well shame on you. Get away from me is a PHENOMENAL pop gem. It came out in 2004 and still has a lot of repeat in my ears. I actually bought the re-release that came out like 2 years ago. Anyway this girl is fucking hillarious. She's like a one girl Monty python singalong. Her newest/2 year old album Obligatory Villagers is like a classical musical. Like if you close your eyes you can kinda make out a story...missing the chatting in between songs. Nellie is a really supberb aranger. The songs really feel like classic 50's style musical. I can see guys in navy costumes and girls with huge hair and red ribbons dancing across the stage. Her lyrics are her sharpest ever. I agree with allmusic.com it takes a few listens to really catch on to what she's going on about. This is a giant step between albums. Pretty little head her second album had a few phenomenal songs but was really bloated and had some kinda miss steps. Kinda like melloncollie accept without the bonus of cultural importance. But Obligatory Villagers is a fun intelegent well written romp. Mckay is a really talented muscian and artist. Hope she keeps her shit up.

PS THAT"S A BOAT



\ /
\/

No comments: