Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Submitted by Mike
jjjjj





Alright, I know I just posted, but I can't help myself, because I am obsessed with Bon Iver (pronounced bonn eevair, french for "good winter"). Guy's name is Justin Vernon, and, like Sam Beam, he self-recorded and produced his album For Emma, Forever Ago. Frustrated with his career and thinking of giving up professional music altogether, he holed up by himself in his dad's hunting cabin in Wisconsin, snowed in for four months, just to figure out his life. Evidently he brought along a few instruments, because the music he made up there is amazing. His voice is often compared to Tunde Adebimpe of TV on the Radio, but his sound is much more like Iron & Wine. His vocals are reverbed, layered, and include lots of falsetto, and the acoustic accompaniment is simple, but includes plenty of random noise to keep things a little ghostly. Anyways, he's picked up a ton of momentum due to blog buzz, an 8.1 pitchfork revew, and he's listed in Paste Magazine's 4 to Watch for March. He's touring right now (played the Grog Shop in Cleveland March 6th, so Drew and John J you missed your chance) and I'm gonna obviously miss his Seattle show, but yeah, if there is anyone else out there reading this, you should go see him. Okay, that's it.

Bon Iver - Skinny Love.mp3

1 comment:

Dan said...

I like this. Let me listen more before committing though.