Wednesday, March 18, 2009

100 of my own songs i've heard that others should hear before they can't use their hearing, but if your deaf already this is pointless sorry.

Okay so Mike encouraged me to make my own little list of songs to talk about. I don't really have a list of 100 songs and these aren't necissarily my favorite songs ever. These are more along the lines of what i consider important and ear worthy of just about everyone.

#100 The Diamond Sea by Sonic Youth from the album Washing Machine.

First off the cover for Washing Machine just instantly sparks a smile and a youthful reminicents of my home in Chardon Ohio. Sonic Youth was my first crack band. I was addicted hardcore. Before there was the internet to steal music there were those idiots at sony BMG. I think that's the name of it. Pay for 1 cd and get 12 free just make sure you buy 20 more cds in the next year. Yeah I never paid them and I opened like 10 accounts. Plus i was like 16 so they totally couldn't prosecute me. Suckers. In one outing I got the entire available sonic youth dicography. It was sort of slim picking and I ended up with Washing Machine, Experimental jet set, sister and Evol.
I got into sonic youth thanks in part to another dead stapple of my youth, the wonderful and dearly missed radio station 107.9 the end. You ask anyone from cleveland ohio that was growing up in the mid to late 90's about the end and you will get a sort od doey eyed sad puppy dog stare. That radio station was the shit. The last day they were on me and my friends snuck out of school just to hear the last days broadcast...what did those crazy bastards do...they played It's the end of the world as we know it by R.E.M all fucking day on repeat. Awsome.

Anyway to give the end more credit, thatr fucking radio station played all 20 minutes of the diamond sea on a regular basis. Alllllllll 20 minutes of a song that devolves into earsplitting chaos for about 12 minutes. It's noise rock in it's purest feedback drenched glory. they actually played that song on the radio.In a major city. And it wasn't a college radio station.

Ok so about the song. It's really the sort of farthest point the band could take reverb symphonies. It hurts to listen to.http://www.overcompensating.com/posts/20090306.html
While the album as a whole really isn't a great shinning example of the craftsmanship of SY the song Diamond sea really sort of sums up the reasons why i love this band and why i love ear shredding guitar squeeling noise rock. So there you go, check out the song...

....to do a little game till my next song: my next song is off a live album by a female musician and the title has something to do with what i am doing right now.Yeah that's not much of a riddle or a clue really... i couldn't think of anything sorry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Johnny - first of all, *tear* The End. Loved that station. I think it's amazing how everybody knew the day they went off the air. I think if any other station in Cleveland, or in many other major cities, people would be like, hmm.. when did that happen. We KNEW... I also was stoked to listen to the last day's broadcast, and when I woke up to "The End of the World" I was like, how appropriate. And then later realized it was playing for 24 hours - great outro.

Anyways, so I never thought I liked Sonic Youth - I have heard so few songs, and none in years, that I really had no idea what I was missing. Loved that song - can't believe they played it on The End - but still, totally diggin it. I need to revisit their catalog since my musical tastes have expanded so much. Animal Collective still blows, though