Sunday, March 15, 2009

Excuse me if I leak brains on your shirt-- my mind just got blown

Wow. Just watch this:


Ok, if you liked that, how about 6 more tracks in the same style, different genres? Check out the site ThruYou for more amazing YouTube remixes by Kutiman. He's an Israeli artist (actually his last album was reviewed on Pitchfork and did pretty well - listen to the album streaming here) named Ophir Kutiel, and he spent 3 months working on the ThruYou project. I'm truly amazed by the quality of the work. If you head to his website and check out the credits for each video you will find the most banal of videos went into the masterpieces he has made. Trombone playing for a small group of people, complete with talking and silhouettes running across the screen, make for a YouTube video no one will ever see, but in Kutiman's deft hands it becomes the lazy drunken melody of a dub raggae song. I have heard DJ Shadow's name thrown out in comparison, and I also think of Girl Talk's work, and I think this is the both the climax of one movement (the YouTube generation's "look at me" videos) and the start of another (the collaboration over the internet is creating higher and higher quality output). Love it.

No comments: