Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mike's 104 Songs to Hear Before You Die: Song #4

So I'm finally on to number four in my continuing list of songs that I think you should hear before you die. Remember, these songs are based purely on my deep love for each one. Previous songs, some with a link to download, can be found here:

#1) The Smashing Pumpkins - Muzzle (for teaching me how to be a teenager)
#2) Sufjan Stevens - Vito's Ordination Song (beautiful sounds, transcendent lyrics)
#3) They Might Be Giants - Number Three (goofy lyrics, unstoppable foot-tapping fun)

So here it is, number 4:

Counting Crows - Four Days



Who: Counting Crows, my all-time favorite band, led by the poetic lyrics and endearing voice of Adam Duritz

What: "Four Days," the 4th track from the Crows' 3rd album, This Desert Life

When: November 2nd, 1999. I am almost positive I bought this album on the day it came out, as I did with their 2nd, 4th, and 5th albums: so I first heard the song on that day.

Where: In my bedroom in Cleveland. I love the fact that the song sounds like it was recorded in a bedroom as well... more on that later

Why: I think it is a little easier to explain why this one is on the list compared to the last one. The song is a beautifully
phrased song about longing. All the protagonist "want[s] is something good, it gets harder every time." The love of his life keeps leaving, flying to Cleveland (one of the other reasons I love this song: he played it live when he came through Cleveland in '99, mentioning that it was one of four songs on the new album he called his "Ohio set"). I think the metaphor of a bird flying away, one that is not new, and that Adam himself has done before, is wonderfully executed here. The futility of seeing a bird rise into the night sky and having no way to stop it perfectly brings to mind the idea of a long-distance love leaving town.

The music itself has so much warmth to it that the song hardly sounds sad at all. The Crows love to do this, and Adam himself said he loves to juxtapose pretty music with harsh words, because most of the time people don't even listen to the lyrics. This record, like the two previous, was recorded in a mansion, different songs in different rooms. I'm not sure which room this was recorded in, but it has the more "padding" to it than any of the others. It has an analog feel that makes me think of a bedroom, or even more appropriately, a small living room with lots of soft furniture and lots of people. The harmonies on the song are better than any the Crows have done before or since, and I think that again adds to the overall warmth. Finally, the placement on the album after the desolate "Amy Hit the Atmosphere," and before the slightly less bleak "All My Friends," highlights the uplifting music, and increases the inkling of hope one can find in the lyrics.

So now on to my personal reason for loving this song. I had a long distance relationship with my wife, and the first time I was away from her was for about 6 weeks. When I was four days away from seeing her again I kept hearing this song over and over in my head (I wasn't actually able to listen to any music) and ever since then it has been my 4 days to go song (my 3 days to go song will also appear on this list eventually) when we are apart.

All I want is something good
It gets harder every time
She is leaving here tonight
Take a breath
Take your time
Spread your wings and rise
Make a mark upon the wall
Paint your face and pass the time
Close your eyes and she ascends
Hold your breath and ease your mind
Forty Thousand times
Time fades into the night
They descend and then they climb
Feathers falling through the night
Have you seen Ohio rise?
It has been four days and nights
All I want is something fine
It gets harder every time
She is sleeping far away
Take a breath
Take your time
Spread your wings and rise
Rise into the black Ohio skies

Counting Crows - Four Days (zShare)
Counting Crows (check out the download of them covering "Borderline" by Madonna)
Buy Counting Crows on iTunes

No comments: