Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Trying to catch up to Mike's list so that we meet at 50/51...so here's #98 on my list

Song: Girlfriend

Artist: Matthew Sweet

Album: Girlfriend

Why: Well I sort of turned it on earlier today and thought...Hey I love this song and should write about it on the blog.

Okay first the album. Girlfriend is a stone cold unargueable Classic. Classic. Like one of the best albums ever and should and most of the times is on top albums of all time. Of course this is one that gets the shaft. There's a ton of stuff going on here and I think one of the big reasons why Sweet never had as huge a success as he should (though he did have 3 pretty big singles and if you listen to "Sick of Myself" off of 100% fun you'll reecognise him) is because of his sort of classic rock and alterna 90's mix. It's not really cool on either side. The people who like guitar heavy classic rock will probablly find it to young and people in love with that time periods alterna rock will probablly find the album to heavy in the old styles. But now...now there's no reason why not to go back and check out this album. It's gorgeous and well thought out and fun.

Why i love the song Girlfriend. Well I love the video and actually still sort of visualise it now when I hear the song 10 years or so later. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x691y_matthew-sweet-girlfriend_music


It's got a phenominal guitar hook, a chorus that get's stuck in your head and it's just plain fun. It's the sort of well thought out fun energetic and skilled music I wish I could hear on the radio nowadays. Unfortunatelly that doesn't happen and instead I kep my I-pod on random, except when me and my mom listen to the Maxwell Show...god I love those guys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

2 in one day - I will see your challenge. Anyways, that's the first song you've done that I recognize - although not until I heard it. Nice song