Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mike's 104 Songs to Hear Before You Die: Song #6



By the way, John, you are not ahead. You've done 5 songs- this is my 6th. So haHA sir, haHA. Anyways, in case you aren't familiar

#1) The Smashing Pumpkins - Muzzle (for teaching me how to be a teenager)
#2) Sufjan Stevens - Vito's Ordination Song (beautiful sounds, transcendent lyrics)
#3) They Might Be Giants - Number Three (goofy lyrics, unstoppable foot-tapping fun)
#4) Counting Crows - Four Days (beautiful harmonies, sweet metaphors)
#5) Drive-By Truckers - Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife (heartwrenching lyrics, heartstring pulling slide guitar)

And John87's list:
#100) Sonic Youth- The Diamond Sea
#99) Ani Difranco - Both Hands (Live)
#98) Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
#97) Eels - P.S. You Rock My World
#96) Vienna Teng - City Hall

Song Numero 6:

Architecture in Helsinki - It'5!

Who: Architecture in Helsinki

What: It'5! A delightful little pop thing... I can't describe it really

When: 2005 on their second album (that I thought was their debut) In Case We Die

Where: Australia, not Helsinki

Why: This one came on in the car today and I was like, "oh man, I love this song". Then I tried to think of why I love this song, and I just don't know. It might be the video that Dan sent me soon after the album came out. It might be the falsetto (I'm a sucker for falsetto). Or maybe it's just the frantic pace, the crazy lyrics, the random guitar and horn licks, the sheer fun of the song. The lyrics are actually a bit of a downer, but there's just so much joy in the sound of this song. And you know, this was also probably my first foray into indie pop. I think at the time this song came out I had heard a lot of new music, like indie rock, alt-country, alt-folk, brit rap, etc, but I hadn't heard any of the pop genre of the indie side, except maybe a little Polyphonic Spree, which I considered to be something all its own. So maybe that was why I latched onto this song. But anyways, it's a fun song, I highly recommend this album (much better than the debut) but especially this song is just... well, FUN.

Stranger danger,
Danger stranger,

When you gonna follow through?


The mistake you don't make,

Or the rain cloud covers above your house.

Steal the feelings,
Don't focuse on the flames girl.

Have I failed to impress you?

Could've sworn that wine
And one and four made two,

But it's 5!

It's 5!


Can I ride with you

Until the sunset gets all red?

And we'll get chased by the moon


Hope the passion don't fade

Since you decided he's your spouse.

Wheeling, dealing,

Joking things will change girl.

Have I failed to impress you?

Could've sworn that wine

And one and four made two,
But it's 5!

It is 5!


1 comment:

John 87 said...

I swear to you I was gonna do the song Do the Whirlwind (my jam of 2006) as my next song. But Yeah It's 5 is one of those crazy fun songs that's hard to explain in words it's joy giving. Good choice of song....also I'm totally gonna be ahead of you on the list by the end of today.